At YogaBodyWorks we believe in the power of community. We're proud of the people who walk through our doors each day for the support they provide us and each other. In fact, we work hard to foster this sense of community because it is a source of inspiration for us too.
We believe in the transformative power of yoga but we don't take ourselves too seriously. Our teachers also work in schools, universities and city councils. They are students, artists and designers. We believe this diversity is one of our strengths because it allows us to speak from diverse perspectives and broad experience providing depth to our understanding of yoga.
Keeping it real
At YogaBodyWorks we make real the ethical and spiritual values that lie at the heart of yoga. We work hard to create a real sense of community. We're here to share the yoga journey with as many Novocastrians as we can. This is a philosophy that underpins our personal practice as well as our work here at the studio, fostering comaraderie and reducing competition (most of all with ourselves).
YogaBodyWorks in the local community
A powerful way of building community within our studio is to reach out to the wider community through fundraising and awareness-raising activities. Our intention is to assist those in need in the Newcastle community and further afield, and to help those already doing this in any way we can.
- Are proud sponsors of Surfest.
- Raised over $2500 for the Bumi Sehat Foundation, a not-for-profit organisation providing free health services for pregnant women and children in Bali.
- Sponsored two of our yogis who cycled from Vancouver to Seattle to raise money for the BC Cancer Research Foundation in Canada.
- Sponsored one of our yogis who took part in the 50km Sydney Coast Trek Event to raise money for the Fred Hollows Foundation.
- Provided high school students from Kurri Kurri and Toronto High Schools with free yoga classes.
- Hosted weekly donation yoga classes at the studio, raising on average $300/month to donate to local charities.
- Donated our time to CanTeen and other organistations we feel aligned with, teaching yoga classes and gifting memberships to the studio.